Leaving Afghanistan from the perspective of a Weapons Squad Leader and a Combat Medic. This is the third in a three-part series of exclusive interviews with members of the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division who describe for the first time what they saw, heard and felt as they completed the historic evacuation of more than 124,000 people from Afghanistan and closed out U.S. military operations after 20 years in country.
Paratroopers SSG Austin Buchanan and SGT Jacob Black join AUSA’s Gina Cavallaro and Scott Halstead at Fort Bragg to share their experiences in Part 3. Links to Parts 1 and 2 are included below.
- SSG Austin Buchanan, Weapons Squad Leader, A Company, 2nd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division
- SGT Jacob Black, Combat Medic, 2nd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division
- Gina Cavallaro, Senior Staff Writer, AUSA’s Army Magazine
- COL (Ret) Scott Halstead, Director, AUSA’s Center of Leadership
AUSA’s Army Matters Podcast - Special Edition: Leaving Afghanistan, Exclusive Interviews with the 82nd Airborne Division
- Part 1 – MG Donahue, Commanding General & CSM Pitt, Senior Enlisted Advisor (29 November 2021)
- Part 2 – CPT Hawks, Company Commander & SFC Brown, Platoon Sergeant (8 December 2021)
- Part 3 – SSG Buchanan, Weapons Squad Leader & SGT Black, Combat Medic (15 December 2021)
United States Army
Recommendations for future topics are welcome via email at email@example.com.